Radio Control Modelers Singapore
  Home   Forum   Help Search Login Register   *
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: RFB Fantrainer  (Read 8976 times)
Fullmoon
Control Tower
Retired Pilot

Air Traffic Controller

« on: October 23, 2009, 02:53:32 PM »

I bought this magazine back in 2001 and always wanted to scratch-build this aircraft but was shelf-off due to all kinds of reasons. Given the knowledge that I have gained from past few kits, I hope that I can put into this scratch-build aircraft and complete it. This is a 60 to 75 size pusher designed plane. With the shroud diameter around 10", I may just be able to install a 60 size engine with 10 x 8 3-blades prop. The other problem with building this plane is that I have not resolved how to start the engine issue. I will do research and mod along the way.

Fullmoon
Control Tower
Retired Pilot

Air Traffic Controller

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 02:55:31 PM »

After "xerox" and zoom-in the magazine, the full size plan is out.
Jephry
Control Tower
Retired Pilot

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 04:16:29 PM »

Nice!!! I will built the EP version year end

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.
Fullmoon
Control Tower
Retired Pilot

Air Traffic Controller

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 02:41:22 AM »

Why wait ?? Starts now.
GarryT
Cadet Pilot

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 07:03:54 AM »

Hey Fullmoon,
Dont know if it helps but I built one of these back in 1991.
Power was an OS 61 running a then available 10 x 7 three bladed prop trimmed in diameter to fit the cowl!
We started it by using a 7mm ball driver adapted rod (same as ducted fans used) which contacted a 7mm high tensile cap screw adapted to the engine
Entry was from the rear port side of the fuselage.--Worked for me.
The aircraft was a beautiful flier and quite quick !
Hope this is of some help,
Garry T Australia
Fullmoon
Control Tower
Retired Pilot

Air Traffic Controller

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 02:41:32 PM »

Hi Garry, great to know that both of us have some kind of liking for this plane. For it size, I can imagine how beautiful it is when doing a low-pass. Therefore, to make my dream comes true, please correct me if my scratch-build is going off-course, ok ?

I am thinking of power it with OS 75AX since both the 60 size and 75 size have the same mounting. The only concern will be whether the 10 x 7 3-blades pusher prop is considered under-size for a 75 size engine. Btw, confirm that you are referring to contact the 7mm high tensile cap screw to the engine shaft ? Currently, I have the start-shaft for dynamax fan, wonder if I can use it or not ?
GarryT
Cadet Pilot

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 10:00:42 PM »

Hi Fullmoon,
10 x 7 would be a little light for the 75 I would suspect.Try getting hold of something with more pitch and even with more diameter--- you can cut it down and balance it
I will try some of my contacts if you wish and see what we come up with in relation to the props.
The Dynamax start shaft is perfect ,exactly what I was referring to. Just use a bolt (cap screw) adapted to the OS shaft.I think the Dynamax shaft uses 5/16""unf bolts from memory.
Fullmoon you will truly enjoy this machine, go ahead and do the build, you wont regret it !!
Fullmoon
Control Tower
Retired Pilot

Air Traffic Controller

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 04:10:13 AM »

Hi Garry, I've begun to feel excited about the whole project. If can, appreciate it if you can ask me to get the contacts on relation to the props; a picture will be very nice. Thanks in advance. Cheers.
GarryT
Cadet Pilot

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 11:17:52 AM »

Hi Fullmoon,
If I were you, I would get the prop and engine combination running on the bench before starting the build.
I am pretty sure that is what I did and then built the airframe.
This will ensure the power package is running correctly
Fullmoon
Control Tower
Retired Pilot

Air Traffic Controller

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 03:44:35 PM »

Thanks for the advice Garry.

Just some update on the work. Firstly, balsa is not cheap in Singapore, and it becomes even worse when it is not easily available. Search high and low for balsa stick but to no available. Bought a balsa striper to cut to the required dimension. Com to think about it, it seems to be cheaper to do it this way. Secondly, I was surprised at the cost of the plywood in Singapore. It gets ridiculously expensive as it getting thinner. For example, I was quoted for $20 dollars for a piece of 1/32 x 6 x12 plywood Huh
Fullmoon
Control Tower
Retired Pilot

Air Traffic Controller

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 03:45:50 PM »

Cutting the part into many correct pieces.
Fullmoon
Control Tower
Retired Pilot

Air Traffic Controller

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »

Can't wait to get start even without finish cutting all the require pieces. Never mind, I will do it along the way. Kick-start with the tail section.
GarryT
Cadet Pilot

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2009, 12:08:57 AM »

We have plenty of trees here in Australia  ---- but not balsa trees unfortunately!!Our balsa prices are very high too, but at the end of the day it is the satisfaction of creating your new project yourself.
You will be very happy with the Fantrainer as it flies exceptionally well.Great effort so far, keep it up.
Plywood has always been more expensive the thinner you go --- they tell me it has something to do with the manufacturing process.
Just have to live with it I guess My scratch built 1/5th scale 96'' span Vampire from Sterner plans cost me $420.00 in materials-balsa and ply.Pretty good value I think'
Fullmoon
Control Tower
Retired Pilot

Air Traffic Controller

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2009, 09:08:15 AM »

Garry, why don't you grow some balsa trees at your backyard and sell it to me when it is ready to harvest ??  2funny 2funny 2funny
Fullmoon
Control Tower
Retired Pilot

Air Traffic Controller

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2009, 09:10:11 AM »

Yes, it was weekend and have some spares time to work on this plane. Believe it or not, it took me almost 2 hours to cut this balsa.  ticoff ticoff ticoff
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to:  

RCMS Event Calender!
Halloween
Upcoming Birthdays: Jim 15256 (74)
Recent
[March 08, 2014, 10:33:00 AM]

[March 05, 2014, 08:27:57 PM]

[February 25, 2014, 03:51:45 PM]

[December 14, 2013, 08:40:25 AM]

[April 19, 2013, 08:43:51 AM]